Sunday, March 1, 2009

Group Photo of 70 people


How do you take a group photo of about 70 people in a night environment? How much lighting do you need to get it done?

I was thinking of how to shoot this group shot, and in the end, I used 4 strobes at 1/2 power each to achieve this shot. A wide angle lens was used (12mm @ ISO640 + f/8 + 1/125s), and I was in an elevated position shooting downwards. There was one strobe at each side of where I was standing, with a silver+white reflective umbrella. On the photo left, the white wall was used as a light bounce, so a flash was shot at the wall. On the photo right, another strobe with a reflective umbrella was used. The silver reflective umbrellas give a nice contrasty look to the photo.

The final result is what you see, and I was quite pleased with the results... but there are still some shadow areas cast on a few faces. I could have placed a 3rd strobe in the front, but aiming it further towards the back, or shifted the side strobes higher. Anyway... you can see the rest of the group photos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment